Friday, March 2, 2012

Prayer

This past Sunday, Ally came home with a special Primary assignment for next week. She's been asked to offer the opening prayer in opening exercises. I'm, honestly, anxious to see how this prayer will play out on Sunday. First off, it's like pulling teeth to get her to even repeat our exact words at home, let alone pray by herself. Secondly, she's got terrible stage fright. But, whoever asked her to say the prayer for next week is my new hero! All week, when it comes time to offer a prayer, I say, "Ally, would you like to say the prayer for _____ (i.e. breakfast, lunch, etc) and practice for Sunday when you will say it for Primary?" She always responds so excitedly and upbeat! She folds her arms, speaks on her own, speaks loud and clearly, and is just so happy to say a prayer! It's been so fun to have an extra little prayer said during the days by Ally and to hear what is important to her. Kids definitely aren't embarrassed to say what they are feeling when they pray. They're good examples like that. Here are a few of my favorite bits of prayers this week:

"Thank you for this day." It comes every time, immediately after opening. I supposed she's learned that one from me. I am grateful for everyday!

"Please help me spell my name. My name is Ally, A-L-L-Y."

"Help mama get better."

"Thank you for this food and that it will make my belly happy and I will grow so big and tall like my mommy and daddy."

"Help me practice sayin' a prayer for Primary for next week."

My favorite is the name spelling prayer. And I don't think it was insincere at all. She really does love to spell and wants to know how to spell everything. It's sweet to hear her praying for other, unprompted. I think she might be learning to care for others and the be aware of their needs. She's a sweet girl and I'm so glad she's opened up to praying at home more.

No comments: