Sunday, September 18, 2011

Charity

Thursday when Viana came home from school the big news of the day was that Gunner, a boy in her class, did not want to play with her. Friday came with even bigger news. Viana hopped out of her classroom and said, "Mom! Gunner is my friend again! I told him his hair looked nice and that I liked the way he combed it and then he smiled at me. He even waved goodbye to me!" This example that Viana gave to me is huge. I have found that when I think someone doesn't like me I don't have the right reaction. I usually avoid them, or smile timidly if I do run into them, or list all the reasons I can think of that they don't like me, or tread lightly when around them certain that each movement I make will sink me even further down their bad list. Instead, I need to be more like Viana. Look for the positive in that person, make an effort to reach out to them, let it be a concern so that I can improve the relationship and then I will probably be pleasantly surprised that even I get a little smile and a wave.

No comments: